Wednesday, February 23, 2011

EXTRA CREDIT-The Illumination Project

 I really enjoyed watching the Illumination Project. I used to attend PCC and have seen some of the students on campus and also knew about this class.  It was really interesting to see the different view’s watching the people from the audience. Almost everyone had a different facial expression. Some were angry, some just were there to get credit and looked bored, and then some looked like they have been in that situation and what was being said onstage was just wrong and hurtful. I thought it was also very interesting to see how people would go up and change a situation. Our good ol’ Jordan himself got up there. And even though it was not a funny matter to see one student making fun of another Jordan knocked it out of the park! He really made good points and talked so calmly, which was so funny for me because he really does that in real life. I have seen it! He will call you on shit if he thinks it’s wrong! There was one portion that really got to me… and that was that there was a Latino girl working as a coffee shop worker, and one of the girls makes a comment that she shouldn’t work here if she can’t speak English, because she got her coffee order wrong. It affected me because that is a comment that is made far too often. And it is really hurtful. But also because I have worked in a coffee shop I also know how easy it is to screw up a coffee. Man oh man that is just not something you do... People are vicious about their coffee. LOL but people make those comments choosing to pick out others race, which in my opinion and many other is very wrong. A lot of what they showed was from personal experience and that was good to see that they use real life occasions but sad to see how racist people are. I have personally been in situations where because I was white I was looked upon as I shouldn’t have been in this restaurant that I went to. It was not a good feeling. So I could see where each one of these people was coming from. I think that them going to different schools and doing this helps people try and stand up for what they believe. If its race, or gender it doesn’t matter. I think it helps develop easy ways to stop hate!  I enjoyed watching people react to different ways that things can be handled! And i also loved watching the teacher be so proud of her students and the students that got up there to try and change a situation!

Anna




The Illumination project is something that is really cool, and at the same time, really eye opening. I love the fact that it is Interactive theater. It completely engages the viewers to jump in and best of all, speak their mind and attack in issue such as racism in a deep personal way. I find it extremely difficult to just sit and watch something and then process it later. This differs in the aspect that you have to process the scenes quickly and jump in when you feel something is wrong. I, of course, had to jump up on stage and interact. I caught myself quickly trying to process my thoughts and what i am going to say all while walking up the stage. It's an unreal experience for sure. It opens your eyes along with your mind, and makes you reflect and analyze your own behavior. Next time the Illumination Project come back to LBCC, i definitely recommend going to see them. 


Jordan 

No comments:

Post a Comment