Thursday, February 17, 2011

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!!

For this week’s blog we chose the Gazette Times!





Describe 

I would have to say that the primary focus for this paper is local news. Talking about what is going on in our community. With a mix of a little Obama!  It always gives the sports section with good stats on Blazer scores and players. But also has a nice touch of our local high school basketball players.
This paper is organized into sections, with a mix of small and long articles. Photos there are many. But something I noticed was that there was at least one major photo on each page and the rest if there were any were very small and low key.  The kinds of things that were advertised were outdoor sports stores. (Oregon Outdoors) pets, (Animal crackers pet supply) Bridal show, banks, Etc. I wouldn’t say that there was a lot of advertising in the heart of the paper but there was enough.  But there was just a section to show what stores are having what sales. So a complete section that a reader can either chose to open or not.  First thing I noticed that was different from the hard copy vs. the online version was that the first page to come up online was all about sports. Not what was on the hard copy?  There was a portion of the online version to get all the coupons for this paper.

Analyze

I have to say that I think what sets the Gazette Times away from papers like the Oregonian is that it really likes to give a mixture of what is going on in the city of Corvallis as well as a little about the world.  From what I can tell the editor really likes to focus on his community. But allows much space for things like Obama Cuts to our Federal Aid!   Greatest strengths for this paper would be the color pictures and the black and whites. The little things in the bottoms of the page that advertise for whatever it may be.  And the fact that you don’t have to search for what it is your looking for. You want classifieds you just go to the page you don’t have to tell exactly what you’re looking for. Online there seems to be a good amount to view.. Another downside to online is if you don’t have internet… no online…
Weaknesses: online can be good but getting to a spot can be difficult…. it can be a hassle and If you don’t know where to look then you may not find it online
Interpret

I think the target would be a working person. That doesn’t normally get time to watch news or keep up on what is going on locally or worldwide.  I do not think the paper if targeted for children, or the guy that plays WOW all the time. Just working middle class.  The ads and photos and stories seem to fit very well and go together well. No offensive messages that I could find. I think writers these days pretty well do a great job of staying neutral.
Evaluate

I prefer to have a hard copy. I can get so lost online trying to find something I was told to see in the paper. The online versions make me crazy. Sometimes they can be helpful and you can get more information because people will get on and blog about a story. But other than that I see no point in having an online version.
Engage 

I personally do not engage with the paper at all… But I know some older folks that make it an everyday habit and its part of their daily routine! And I do not follow them on facebook.
Conclusion

I learned that I really hate looking for things with the online paper! I think there should be more photos in a paper and more pages! Not just on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment